Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Giving New Life to a Basket

I so enjoy the satisfaction I get from taking something on it's last leg and giving it a new life. That is my favorite way to satisfy my need to be creative. 


I have been searching Goodwill for a couple weeks for a large lidded basket. I wanted one as a way to "hide" supplies for my disabled son Gage. I am always looking for ways to make the house look as pretty as possible, yet still be functional for our family.

I was so pleased when I found this one.


It is nice and big and though it had some broken spots and had seen better days I thought it was still in good enough shape to give it new life.

A little paint, fabric, a glass knob, and lace and it is beautiful once again!


Well, in my opinion maybe prettier than it has been before.

I used some of the same Rachel Ashwell curtain that I used when making my Ikea inspired lampshade to make a ruffle around the basket. Along with another canvas type material.

 Peeking out from under the ruffle is a vintage lace given to me by one of my Mother's friends.


It looks so pretty with the different shades of white and coordinates beautifully with the lampshade.


One of these days I want to put a French graphic or something on the top.

Everytime I finish a project I feel like the house is a little more pretty and a little more happy.

We are having rain storms and Gage, Janae and I all have bad colds. But you know I love the rain--the harder it falls the better I like it. That is why Oregon is green.  I am cozy in my house with my family. I wish we weren't sick--but this too shall pass. :) I will enjoy the rain while it is here.

I hope everyone has a wonderful day!


Thanks for visiting!

21 comments:

Butterfly 8)(8 Bungalow said...

It's beautiful! ♡

Janae said...

It turned out great. I love how you added the knob on top, I didn't see that when I looked at it on Facebook. It's so pretty it turned out even better than I imagined it. The graphic on top will look nice, the lace technique would look really pretty on top too.

farmhouse-story said...

it really is charming next to your cute lamp, sandy:) i loved watching the rain from my porch swing at my last house:) have a great day!

Cindy said...

I agree with you! The basket is much prettier now with all your beautiful work to it.

Cindy

Grandma Carolee said...

The basket, and your thoughts are both beautiful!

JP said...

Your basket is just perfect and will look even sweeter when you put your graphic on it. I hope that you and your boys will be feeling better, soon!
JP

Junkchiccottage said...

Oh Sandy the basket is just perfect. Love that you gave us new life. Very pretty.
Kris

sunnyskiesandsweettea said...

The basket is beautiful!!! I would love to have one...This is so inspiring I will be on the look out for one.

Blessings,
Amy jo

Jasper's Cottage said...

I love the subtleties of colors on the basket, beautiful job! I hope you all feel better soon.
xo Jonni xo

Art and Sand said...

What a fun place to store necessities.

I could kick myself for all of the purging I did 25 years ago. I had an old picnic basket in green that was a bit broken. If I hadn't tossed it, today I would be embracing the look.

Live and learn.

We are in June Mountain for skiing, but it is raining so we don't know if we will actually get on the mountain today.

Anonymous said...

You have made the basket look so pretty - and I like the little knob on the top! I love white on white! Hope your colds don't last too long but it's great to be snug and cosy indoors with the gorgeous rain outside! Please send some down our way in Queensland, Australia!

Fran said...

Your basket is so beautiful. Great job!! I have a wooden basket that's blue that I had thought of donating. But I think I will paint it white and put my cross stitch inside so it's not hiding under the coffee table lol. I can move it to where ever I want to stitch since it has a nice handle. You come up with the greatest ideas.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty, Sandy! I love the ruffles and the flower you added. It fits in with your décor perfectly!

The Polka Dot Closet said...

That was a great find and it is gorgeous! Feel better soon!

Carol

Pam Kessler said...

Well, I hope you guys are feeling better by now! Love your basket idea. I spent the first ten years of Max's life with equipment all over the house and I'd just given up on decorating around it. It's so much more relaxing and pretty since I just decided to at least try to make it more inviting :)

{oc cottage} said...

HOW cute is that!!!! wow!

m ^..^

Inspired by you said...

Looks fabulous! Love it when beauty and functionality collide!

The Speckled Hen Cottage said...

Definitely and improvement...so pretty. Love that knob on top. Take care~feel better soon.

Olivia said...

Oh my sweet friend, this is above and beyond such a beautiful transformation! I love, love, love the rolled rose you added. Your talent is above and beyond.
Much love,
xoxo
Olivia

Melanie said...

Hoping that you are all better quickly! Love the basket, you did an awesome job! I love to take something on its last leg and give it new life too! As you said it makes your home feel happier. I think it does do just that! Anyone who enters your home must know that it is the home of a someone who wants to provide a lovely safe place for those she loves!

Cindy said...

I am massively in love with your basket! It couldn't possibly be any more cute or functional. I carry a basket with me to work everyday, i wish mine was as cute as that one!

Cindy